Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I got called fat today.


I did, but it was not in those exact words. Today I had to get my body weight assessed for my nurtrition class (I still eat Ellen's Oreos, I'm heating up pizza right now, and I refuse to cut jalapeno cheddar flavored Cheetos out of my life.) Anyways, I walked in prepared to be called overweight. I've always known I'm heavy even though I may not look big.


I walk in. They take my height. We walk into another room. I measure my own weight. Then they stick two electrodes on my right hand and on my right foot. If only the person helping me was a cute guy, the tattoo on my foot would have been a great ice breaker. But with where this story is heading, it might not end with a happy ending. Then this little machine thingy calculates all this stuff like how much of your weight is lean weight and how much is fat. It turns out that I have a high fat %, but physically it doesn't look that way. This condition is called sarcopenic obesity. This is when you have a high percentage of body fat and a low amount of lean mass. I'm a bit confused as to why I would have this because this sounds like someone who is inactive and unhealthy. Okay from my diet I described above I'm obviously not the most healthy minded person. I have my weaknesses! But I walk a lot (usually home from campus), I take a dance class when I have time, and if I need a break from studying, I'll go for a run. So I'm not a complete couch potato either.


On a side note, if you look up sarcopenic obesity on Wiki, they describe it as possibly someone with a normal BMI but appears fat.


Another thing that machine calculates is your target weight. My weight back in high school is heavier than my "target" weight. And mind you, I was a very active student-athlete in high school (volleyball, dance, and track.) And no, I was not some kid who joined sports but had no real athletic ability.


So with all that said, what should I take away from this experience? I have no idea. I'm happy with my lifestyle. I don't feel sluggish or lazy on a normal basis. Go figure. If anything, I'm willing to sacrifice those Cheetos for my overall health. We'll see what else I learn in this nutrition class.


Just in case... that picture up there is not a faceless photo of myself. I found it off Google.

1 comment: