In this post I'm going to give you a preview of what to expect if you were to spend an evening... or maybe even the whole night... at my place. However, since I just moved back home with my momma, I'm going to write this post as if I still had my place back in Los Angeles.
Side note: My set up here at home (SJ home) is extremely ghetto. I'm sleeping in the living room. I have my own half-bathroom. I share closet space with my little sister and I have some stuff stored in my mom's closet. It's a temp. Once I save up enough for a car, I will be looking for my own place that's closer to work. The ~60 mile commute on a form of public transportation that's threatening to go on strike is going to suck.
At the same time I will be answering these following questions:
1. What books are on you favorite shelf?
2. What DVD's are on you favorite shelf?
3. What are your TWO favorite cookbooks.
4. Select 1-3 recipes you will cook for your special guest.
5. What will we be drinking that is available?
When you walk in, you'll notice a shit load of shoes by the door. Most of them are mine. Do not step on any that are a size 7. Anything bigger than a 7 belongs to one of my roommates. Feel free to step all over those. You can keep your shoes on or not. I'm Asian and any house I walk into, my first instinct is to take off my shoes.
The one thing most people notice first in the apartment is my surfboard. Chelmom has brought over some guy friends and practically all of them have asked about the surfboard when they come over for the first time. It's a great ice breaker when meeting her friends.
1.) On my section of the book case, you will see a random mix of books.
There are some textbooks from my favorite classes (all of my core physio classes, some psych classes, biochemistry.) Some books from my favorite elective classes (mostly about witches and demonic possessions.) There's a Sextrology book; fun for drunken nights and reading about potential hook-ups (my roommates matched up my sign with that of the male roommate. It was awkward. The book said we would have wild hot sex.) There are a couple of French language books. Some writing books. A book about sneakers, of course. There should be a couple of surfing magazines in there somewhere and some novels I've read in school that I felt were worth keeping, eg Their Eyes Were Watching God, Clotel, Xala, and Uncle Tom's Children.
2.) DVDs... no pictures for this one. My collection would be despicable. For movie entertainment I usually just rummage through Lion and Pen's stash. Since I've moved back, we've watched a handful of DVDs including:
- Planet Terror
- Death Proof
- Saving Face
- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
- Hitman
- Ratatouille
- Push
3.) This is lame... but I don't own any cook books. I usually look up recipes online or ask my momma or just make something up with whatever I have lying around the kitchen. If I did own a recipe book, there's a good chance it would be a book on desserts.
4.) FOOD! I'd be serving you this stuff:
#1: Vietnamese spring rolls. I'd call up my momma to make sure I make the sauces right. We'd sit on the floor and do it Asian style. There would be a variety of steamed meat and fresh veggies. Roll 'em yourself and enjoy.
#2: Street style tacos with home made salsa. Carne asada tacos. Yum. Or chicken, if that's your flavor. Lots of salsa and hot sauce will be provided. I like it spicy.
#3: Spicy mango salad. Something light and fruity.
5.) Drinks. There would be at least a bottle of plum wine and Stella Rosa. There would be beer, probably a couple of bottles of Kirin or maybe Stella or Blue Moon. If I'm serving tacos, for sure there will be some Coronas in the fridge. I always keep a bottle of vodka in the freezer. Right now at my mom's place I have a bottle of Absolut Peach. I'm not a very fancy girl. I don't know too much about wine. If Chelmom is over, we'd be drinking whatever she has.
If the food and drinks suck, we can always head out into Westwood. Buck Fifty has some bomb tacos for $1.50. Yamato's got great shashimi salad. The Stand has good hot dogs and a cute guy that works there. Yogurtland just opened up and we could head over there for dessert. Palomino's is always great for late night happy hour. If all evening plans fail, we could go get stoned at the beach and head on over to Bossa Nova's.
If you get drunk/stoned/fatigued and need to sleep over, there would be at least one air mattress available. I'll set it up and whoever gets to it first can sleep on it. You're all free to crash in the living room. I'll bring down the extra pillows and blankets... just don't sleep or slobber over my shoes or break my surfboard. I will hurt you. During the evening, you're free to smoke on the balcony. There's a hammock out there for people to sit, socialize, inhale intoxicating fumes... (joking. Nothing against smokers. I'll have a hit every once in a while.) There's Creepy Neighbor, whose balcony faces our place... Ignore him. We always see him, but rarely see his kid or wife. Strange.
That's it. I hope you've enjoyed your stay. Thanks for not puking and if you did thanks for doing it in the neighbor's swimming pool. We asked Creepy Neighbor if he would let us swim in his pool and he basically said no. Jerk.


aw im glad you did this, and thanks for the shout out!
ReplyDeleteSo do we get a surfing lesson too?
I'll definitely take the mango salad! I guess I'll have to settle for the absolut peach, maybe I'll get hammered enough to go over to creepy neighbor guys house and cause ruckus.
I shall not forget to pimp you out, you might want to make a comment telling me you posted this though so others might see it in the meantime.
Dude, you have the same Neuroscience book I'm using next semester. Wish I could've just borrowed yours, but I already bought mine... BOO
ReplyDeleteStella? Hmm. Blue Moon? I've heard of that one, may be tempted to try it!
ReplyDeleteMr. C: Oh surfing lessons! Of course! You can swim right? (The weekend before my first surfing class, I forced myself to get into the ocean because I had never been in the water before. I lied on the waiver and said I knew how to swim and tread water well.)
ReplyDeleteAnnie: Damn and my book is in near perfect condition. I remember that book was expensive. Have fun with neurosci. It was my favorite course in the phy sci series.
mo: We'll have Blue Moon with a slice of orange.
I know how to swim and tread water well! Hehe
ReplyDeleteYou know, if you tell me you can make a mean steamed vegetable dumpling I might never move out... S'true!
ReplyDeleteAlso, if there's Blue Moon and Corona I'll be there. Blue Moon used to always be the happy hour beer of choice when I lived in the city. $2 for a pint. Excuse me while I clean up my drool!
Oh I love Vietnamese spring rolls!! Can I eat 30 of them while I'm there or is that rude?
ReplyDeleteSPRING ROLLS!! Yesssss!!
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with the comment you left @ my blog - those Disaronno commercials with "smooth-dude-barman" were pretty weak. They even bothered me, and I've been drinking the stuff for a while. Liquor commercials can be so pretentious.
Also, Absolut Peach + real blended up peaches = nothing better!
Lol.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a nice place. . . except the creepy neighbor.
I get a free meal too!
Mmm. Tacos.
And don't worry, I'd never touch your surf board. I don't like getting hurt.
See ya next week?
Haha.
;]
Mr. C: Bueno. I'll meet you at the beach... bright and early.
ReplyDeleteVeg Ass: $2 for a pint of Blue Moon. WHERE??!?
I've never made vegetable dumplings before. I'll have to give it a try and let you know how they turn out.
Dutch donut: Eat as much as you please. I'll probably eat just as much at your place!
Sami: I will definitely pick up some peaches next time I'm at the grocery store. Thanks for the idea!
AD: You're welcome to come over anytime. Also, how about letting us (the internet) come over to your place for an evening? I'd love to meet Jelly Bean.
I am a size 7. please send pics of your shoes for me to choose from.
ReplyDeleteyour DVD collection is lame, do not send photos of those
like sami, i too am very excited about spring rolls!! i promise to leave the sushi girl at my place :)
ReplyDelete60 mile commute??! Yikes!
ReplyDeleteJBern: Mess any of them up and your cockblocker gets it.
ReplyDeleteLana: Is there a sushi guy? You can bring him along.
Cookie: Yes, 60 miles. Surprisingly the commute isn't too bad. It's only when I have no one to pick me up from the BART station that it gets really bad. When that happens, my ~1.5 hour commute turns into a 3 hour one.