Friday, January 23, 2009

Autumn is here!

I am always in a good mood when she's around. Today, Annie brought her daughter, Autumn, to work. Annie comes in, and instead of having a cup of iced coffee in her hand, she came in with her daughter trailing behind her. Autumn is 11 years old (I think she's 11, 11 or 10. I forget) and she is going to win the Nobel Prize one today. She is the honorary member of the Protein Expression Lab.


Does anybody remember that scholastic magazine, Times for Kids? I remember reading that back in fourth grade. Well, today Autumn came in with a Harry Potter book and her wet copy of Times for Kids. It was so cute. She was so disappointed because she dropped it outside while it was raining. But she pulled it open to the centerfold which featured an article all about Obama's election. I remember when Obama was announced winner of the election, Annie told us about how Autumn wrote an e-mail to all of her friends announcing the election of the first black president. Wow, who's ever heard of a 11 year old so into politics? Today she showed me a picture of Nixon and his daughter.


Every time I see Autumn and Annie together, I can't help but feel good. There's something about seeing a single mother raise such a beautiful and intelligent child that gets me all choked up. I guess it's because it reminds me of my own mother... and my grandmother. It restores all the hope I have that things will be okay and it keeps me humble. Alright, that's enough touchy, emo stuff. BACK TO WORK PEOPLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment