This week has been interesting. The long weekend was not long enough. I did not get as much work as I would have wanted. I did however, write RK a letter for her nomination for Distinguished TA Award. It's suppose to be a very prestigious award at UCLA. I got half of my lab written. And a tiny bit of studying for my biomechanics midterm.
The biomechanics midterm turned out okay... well I felt okay walking out of it. This one guy overslept (it's an 8:00 am midterm with an optional start time at 7:30, and runs 'til 9:15.) Homeboy came in at about 9:00... yikes, right? Even NatchMAC made it to class on time!
I talked to my French professor from last quarter this week. I stopped by her office hours to ask her if she would write me a letter of recommendation for medical school. She said yes... in a very awkward manner. I think she was just surprised that I asked her because she looked at me with a funny face and asked why I thought French would be relevant to medical school. Um, lady... the admissions board will know everything about my academic record, the LOR is suppose to reveal my character and how I am in the classroom/workplace. duuuhhhhhhh. Anyways, I told her I'd write her a cover letter, personal statement, give her a copy of my resume and some old work from her class so she can remember me better... and she replied.."Oh don't worry. I won't forget you." And in my head, as I was walking out... what in the world does that mean? Can I trust her to write me this letter?!!? Woman better not screw me over!
I also made a new friend (?) this week. I had some free time before my lab class so I sat in the hall way, fifth floor of the Life Science Building, and started brainstorming for my personal statements for the French professor and VRE. Another student came early too, to eat her lunch and I guess read for that day's lab. I decided to be friendly and started talking to her. This is what I got: she's pre-health, she knows that for sure. Currently, she is trying to get into medical school, although she thinks being a doctor is too much for her. It scares her that she would have people's lives in her hands. BUT she is going to apply, just to apply... just so her parents know she applied... and if she doesn't get in.. oh well, at least she tried. Okay, so if I wasn't in a good mood, I would have made her feel like a total retard for spending all that time, effort, and money applying for medical school when she doesn't even want it. Who does that? ...Oh yeah my old lab partner. She is (maybe was?) pre-med and her dream was to open a bed and breakfast on a farm. No joke, that was her answer. I forget what state she said she wanted to specifically open up her bed and breakfast. As nice as she is... maybe I don't want to be her friend...
This week was my turn to present at the lab meeting. It was also my turn to cook for our cook-off. It's not really a competition. It started off that way, but now we're just thankful people are bringing in food for the meeting. Last week, Jelly made some bomb chicken pot pies. This week, I made tacos... and they turned out pretty good. They completely wiped me out! And to top it off, this was also T's turn to cook and she baked some delicious snickerdoodles. She also gave us a tip to make cookies soft. So after you're done baking, pack up the cookies and in the container, also toss in a piece of bread. Some how that makes the cookies soft. I want to try that some time. I made a special request for more (because I have an enormous sweet tooth and love baked goods) and she agreed to make more for another meeting.
So that was my week. Most of my frustrations came from the lab because I came in on days that I wasn't scheduled for and my experiments keep coming up with odd results. I won't bore you all with that. Even Boss is mystified! Hopefully I get some good results soon. I want to publish a paper before I graduate and win glory for our small lab!!

Remember when NATCH Mac stopped discussion to say, "Why are you all staring at me? Is my fly open?"
ReplyDelete