Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Good Ol' Horoscope

Remember the time I read my horoscope and thought it was talking about my PS 138 prof and I was absolutely wrong about it? Well this time it went my way!


"You might want to spend a little time thinking about how you can expand your career options right now. Just be aware that there could be some promising new opportunities available to you in the coming days. So try to get out there and do a little productive networking while you can." (From California Psychics)


Lately I've been freaking out about graduating. Am I going to be able to find a job? Should I go pre-med or physical therapy? This is the best time to be in school, should I stay an extra quarter? Family isn't doing well... I need to go home after graduation.. even with no job in SJ?


Thankfully this break came today... I asked my PS 138 prof (who happens to be a huge figure in the field of physiology) a letter of recommendation for medical school. I wrote him an email. I know this isn't the best way to ask, but he's not teaching and I didn't want to come barging into his office, catching him off guard. I wrote him a letter and he replied with a yes. YES! I replied back asking to meet up with him to discuss my plans. Hopefully he has time for me and I can do more than just slip him a packet under his door or in his mail box.


Okay, so I know professors get asked for letters all the time, and really when do they say no? I've never heard of a "no" story. Well, until I spoke to Lin. Kim (from 153L) is a professor who will actually tell a kid no. And then I thought about it... if I was a professor I would say yes most of the time. I figured if a kid asked me in advance, this kid did stand out in my class. If a kid waited til last minute, the kid is desperate and the least I could do is write a letter. It won't be a stellar letter, but hey some kids just need a letter to meet the requirements for secondaries.


Being one step closer to fulfilling my pre-med potential, I now feel better. Now I have to write a cover letter and apply to a couple of job postings I found at Stanford. Fingers crossed I get some kind of reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment