Sunday, February 15, 2009

DOMS

DOMS stands for delayed onset muscle soreness. You know how after you get a good work out in, you don't feel sore till 24-48 hours later? That's what that is. It's due to the micro damage done to muscles during a work out (usually happens during the eccentric contraction/action.) So to decrease the amount of soreness, you should ingest protein (and some carbs) within 30 minutes of working out so your body has the "building blocks" it needs to repair those micro damaged muscles. Oh yeah and of course stretching helps too. It increases blood flow to your muscles.


For some reason, surfing doesn't cause DOMS (at least not in me.) I got SO sore today! Yeah I'm obviously out of shape because I haven't been surfing in months. BUT I could have caught my very first wave today! I paddled far out into the water to work on paddling and balancing on my board. I got tired and decided to paddle back in. I look behind me and I see a wave about to form, and I think, Hey, why not? Let's paddle for it. I feel it sweep underneath me and I'm riding the wave! I try to push myself up but my rotator cuff muscles were too tired and I just couldn't get up. What a waste of a perfect wave! Besides that, at one point during the session, the white water was all the way up to my chest! Such a prime time to be practicing on the white water!


(Just for that, I'm taking the picture down.)


As much as I suck at surfing, I love putting up an image like I can and meeting random people on the beach. I said hi to a body boarder and this one other surfer. This one couple vacationing in LA stopped by and we had a chat. The German lady was a nutritionist and her man is some dude who is into biology. They're a cute couple.


What a great start to a great day! Let's hope I get some work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment