Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Doing the Dishes

Here is another attempt to make science look cool. The other day I had to work with dry ice. For those of you who aren't familiar with dry ice, it's really fun to play with. I remember taking a piece of dry ice from my physics class back in high school and playing with it on my desk during French class. Here are some cool things to do with dry ice:


1.) Grab some glassware, fill it up with water and chuck dry ice into it.




I'm not sure what exactly was in these tubes (E.coli cells for sure), but it started producing all these weird bubbles.


2.) Now add soap to it. Looks just like what happened to those E.coli cells.




3.) This is my favorite. You have to use an Erlenmeyer flask for this. Fill it up about 3/4 water and start loading it up with dry ice. You can't tell from the pictures, but the flask will actually start puffing out O's.




Remember to take a break from constantly throwing the ice around. It hurt my fingers. Then, you'll have a whole sink full of smoke/bubbles. Another thing I didn't show was putting a glove over the top of cylinder. The glove expands. I can't remember what exactly happened last time we did that in the lab. I hope Boss still writes me a letter or rec!! Tung started it.

1 comment:

  1. SOOO COOOOOL. Let's get a giant hunk and throw it into a hot tub.

    ReplyDelete