Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Thank You for Eavesdropping

I mean that sincerely. Monday morning, I got a call from my mom. She said that Vulgar Valerie was still missing some paperwork from me and that I needed to get it in ASAP. So that means I needed to get to the computer lab, print out the documents, and find a fax machine, all before class starts. This is ridiculous because I mailed all the paperwork a week and a half ago.


So I get to campus, hit the Life Science computer lab where printing is free for life science majors. It's 9:15 am. The lab opens at 9.... and already there was a line from the door to the end of the hall way. As I was walking by, frustrated as hell, I said under my breath but loud enough for them to hear, "Fuckin' freshmen..."


I walked over to the Young Hall computer labs, printed out all the stuff I needed, and headed over to Factor to fax it over to Vulgar Valerie. I faxed it and gave her a call, telling her I had just faxed it over. She explained to me what she needed... my last four consecutive pay check stubs. I told her I faxed over my last four, but there is a discrepancy because I did not work the last two weeks of December. I was home for the holidays so I didn't get paid. No pay= no pay check stub. Last time I met up with her I even gave her a print out of a list of my paycheck dates, which proved that I did not work and did not get paid for that last pay period of 2008. She never told me that I needed to write a letter explaining all this and to make sure that letter had my signature on it. Before I hung up the phone, I realize that I had not told her off for making situations so complicated. So I asked for her supervisor's contact info. She replied with a strict, "NO." That's when I went off.


I complained. Loudly too. In the middle of the lab. I pointed out how she said she'd mail me the paperwork so that I wouldn't have to fly up to San Jose to fill them out, but then I ended having to fly up anyways. She blamed my mom for the miscommunication. Funny, when I told her about this at our meeting, she said that she was willing to work with me all the way up until March. By saying that she meant that I didn't have to fly up at such a short notice. But if I waited, I'd be flying up during midterm season. She still avoided the fact that she had agreed to mail me the papers.


Okay, so my mom messed up. If my mom's English is sketchy, and this is all about my paperwork, wouldn't it be best for her to contact me directly? I'm fuckin' 500 miles away! I called and left so many messages, with my cell phone number, and she only replied ONCE. She claimed that since my mom is head of the household, she called my mom instead... Need I reiterate that I am 500 miles away from home? What's the point in calling my mom if I am not currently living in the household?


Then I started ranting about how inefficient she had been and how much trouble and stress she had caused me. I ranted on about how bad the economy is, how honest good working people are getting laid off while she still has her job. I have to admit, she took it very well. I stopped there and didn't drag her kids into this and how I think her family should just die off.


Earlier, one of the doctors talked to me and she saw how stressed I was. She also overheard the whole conversation between Vulgar Valerie and me. Today she asked me if everything worked out okay and admitted to listening to my phone call. Okay so this doctor is my favorite doctor in the lab. She understands how it feels to work through college. She has great work ethics. She dresses clean, always has a clean image. She carries herself very well. She is basically my role model. I would be more than happy to pick up her dry cleaning and do all other types bitch work just for her. And, surprisingly, she said she agreed with what I said, that it's not fair how Vulgar Valerie still has her job while so many people have been laid off. I felt a tinge of guilt for going off on Vulgar Valerie because I had never done something like that before. I usually just talk shit behind the person's back. And knowing this doctor, she's not the type to just tell someone off or start cussing (I am proud to say that I controlled my frustrations and did not curse at Vulgar Valerie.) So, to have her agree with me, made me feel like I shouldn't feel bad and that Vulgar Valerie deserved it. And it also felt good to know that the doc still thinks I'm a good kid, after all that bitching, whining, and complaining. Thank you, role model, I hope to become a doctor like you someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment