Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Stroke of Luck

Last winter quarter, I took a beginning modern dance class with the incredible Saleemah Knight and in this class, I worked with a grad student named Kingsley. She was a pretty awesome dancer. By the end of the class, I found out that she teaches Afro-Caribbean dance. I remember seeing her class perform at Pau Hana (end of the quarter dance recital for all the beginning classes) the year before and thinking it looked like a really fun class. I asked Kingsley if she will be teaching that class again and she said no. She was graduating that quarter. You have no idea how bummed I felt. However, congrats on graduating!


This quarter I am taking history and theory of modern dance. It is a class for both undergrads and graduate students. Today, I realized that one of the grad students in my class is Maria Gillespie. I recognized the last name because I've seen it on the registrar's website while I was looking for classes to enroll. She had her name written on her yoga roll. She usually teaches intermediate modern dance and next quarter she's teaching a biomechanics class engineered towards a dancer's body and health. A class right up my alley! A class that combines dance and physiology! I've been wanting to take this course for a year now! I would have taken it this quarter but it's offered during my nutrition class. Next quarter, it's offered on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, the same exact time as every single phy sci elective. What. The. Fuck! This is my very last quarter! Oh and I forgot to mention, Maria is an amazing dancer! I saw her perform today. Also, she's the artistic director of a dance company called Oni Dance. She is also a three time Lestor Horton Award winner. For those of you not familiar with Horton... Have you ever heard of Alvin Ailey? Horton is the dude behind Ailey. And since my dream job is to one day work for the Alvin Ailey Dance Company, you cannot imagine how badly I want to take a class by this amazing woman.


So why not forget about my phy sci electives? After this quarter I am done fulfilling my elective requirements. Well, just in case I need more letters of recommendations, I need to take more science classes. I really want to take this nervous system development class with Phelps. I like her teaching style and am very much interested in the subject. But then again, some medical schools do require a LOR from a non-science professor. I do plan on taking French next quarter, but what if I don't like the professor? I am already planning to take a psych class. Maybe I really don't need another science class then... I'll sleep on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment