I volunteer in the (lab name deleted just in case I get anyone in trouble) and it is the best lab ever. No, we're not a well-known lab like Edgerton's lab or Crosbie's. Well, we're a smaller lab under Dr. E's vast umbrella of labs, and he is a big guy in our biochemistry department, so maybe we are a "famous" lab under his name. Famous or not, I can guarantee that no other lab has as much fun as we do. (Think back to my old posts about playing with dry ice in the sink.)
Today I realized just how great this lab is because no other lab has a boss like us. Boss was late for work today. And guess why. HE WAS OUT SURFING. Was he at a meeting? Was he on another floor doing work? Does he wear a tie and tuck in his shirt? NOPE. He was at Venice Beach for his first surfing lesson. What boss does that? Not to mention I've had drinks with the man and the staff. We share stories. We tell jokes. He's like an older brother! I'll sure miss this lab once I leave. Maybe I should ditch the medicine route and become a professional student and get my Ph.D. I can have my own lab, take my mornings off to surf, and come to work where I am adored for my brilliance and abilities to come up with clever vector names.
Did I ever share that story? I helped Boss build a new vector and he named it pMAPLe.
p= plasmid.
MA= his initials.
PL= my initials.
MAPLE= he's Canadian.
He shared this with Shin and me. We rolled our eyes at him. He was quite proud of that name because we used to punk on him for being Canadian. He cracks Asian jokes to get even with us. I love this lab.

No comments:
Post a Comment