
Yeah, I know I'm joking myself. That is UCLA, but not the part where I get to take classes. Bummer huh? South campus isn't that bad.
So I've gone to lectures for both of my classes this session, Biostats 100A and Psych 115. Biostats 100A should be manageable as long as I don't fall too behind and don't over think the numbers. Sayre seems like a good guy, but for a 9 am class I need a lively professor that knows how to deliver his jokes. This man tries. I'll give him that. But I have a feeling I that I'll be struggling to stay motivated in this class.
Armstrong honestly wowed me in the first ten minutes. After that... eh... he lost me. What wowed me was the stuff he worked on. He loves studying drugs and those who know me know that I love watching those shows on the Nat Geo about drugs and how they mess up your brain. Total potential LOR right? I mean this man did his post-doc on the effects of MDMA on rats! If only I enjoyed his lecturing style as much as his research. Once he started lecturing all I can think about was how great Narins, White, and Metzner were.... and how incredibly slow this class is going to be even though it's supposedly an intensive course.
Armstrong's got jokes too... but could use some help on his delivery too. Trojan jokes will only take you so far into the session. I'll get sick of it by the end of next week.
In addition to Armstrong's less than superior lecturing style and his constant Trojan bashing... there is a handful of those students that ask hella questions during class. I mean hella as in at least 5 questions a piece. I guess for someone who doesn't have a background in neuroscience, these questions may seem intelligent, but to me they seem elementary. I think it's because it feels like he leaves out the information purposely to "see" who's paying attention and will ask questions. If that is so, this guy is a douche bag. I could have taught today's lecture better than he could.
These were only the first days of class, so maybe I'll be wrong about everything. I sure hope so. If this is how it's going to be for the next six weeks, I'll be so unmotivated to care about these classes.

No comments:
Post a Comment