I took Karen's modern class last night (Monday) for the first time. It was great. I was so scared. I mean this was an intermediate/advanced class. Everyone came dressed in proper dance attire, bars were set up for class... I'm not used to doing bar work in modern. And when Karen started teaching, she had an undeniable presence. She was very bold and I felt extremely intimidated. At the same time she has my upmost respect since I've been hearing great things about her. With those two feelings whirling around inside of me, I tried so hard to not look like a total noob and to make Dodd and Gary proud.
Honestly, I think parents who enroll their youngins in ballet or jazz should rethink that decision. Ballet and jazz, though fun... not all that great for kids and their bodies as they are developing. Modern does a body good. It teaches dance technique that works with the natural movement and alignment of the body. Once a kid develops this proper technique, expanding their extracurricular activities into jazz and ballet seems a lot more reasonable and effective. But then you rarely (if ever) see modern dance offered for kids. So maybe I'm wrong about this and modern is just too complex for a child.
Update: I woke up feeling fine. Went to school, went to work, sat there at the desk typing and stretched my torso a bit... It felt good. I felt a little bit of soreness here and there in my back. Then when we left Tasty Garden for dinner, I walked up the stairs to the parking lot and OH MY GOSH... the back of my legs were so SORE! It's funny how all this hit me at random times and how it's only the back half of my body that was sore. Thanks for the work out Karen!!!

thats cool. i wanna see you dance!! i sooo sooo sooo want to put joyce in a dance class but she keeps saying she doesnt want it. she'd rather do tae kwon do. oh and my body was sore too from bowling. did you happen to lose your keys that night? we found a pair in jorge's car today.
ReplyDelete