Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Greatest Fan of Your Life

I have a great idea for my personal statement. I now wish I had come up with this idea for Dr. Villa when I asked her for an LOR. So today, I heard Edwin McCain's song I'll Be, and right away I thought of my senior dance final. Then while I was in the shower, it came to me... that's what I should write about! What else defines me better? I know high school was years ago, but honestly this is one memory from high school that I will NEVER forget.


I took a dance class with Ms. Dodd every year in high school. She and Finney were like my nonbiological mothers. Anyways, Ms Dodd would always share stories of when she would go watch the alumni dancers perform. Every time she spoke of Nhan, her stories would always end with how she was in tears at the end of his performance. No doubt, Nhan is a phenomenal dancer. Nhan and Desira together.. game over! It was an absolute blessing to be their dance captain and to have the first solo of Missing Elements. Okay, so Lilly and I would always look at each other and think: I want to make Ms. Dodd cry too! I mean I started dancing with her and I wanted to know that she was proud of what I have become. Lilly and I both felt that way.


By the time senior year rolled around, Lilly and I parted a bit so we ended up choreographing our final modern pieces separately. Honestly, if you were to tell me back in sophomore year that Lilly and I would NOT be dancing together for our final pieces I would tell you, you are as stupid as stupid gets. Well, I ended up asking Tiffany to be my partner (partnering up was optional.) I told her that I already have an idea for our piece and that she wouldn't have to do anything tough except give me her input on parts that I wasn't sure of.


I wanted to choreograph the piece to the song by Edwin McCain, but Ms. Dodd said that using songs on the the radio was strictly prohibited. So I decided to do it to silence. In my write-up I explained everything about lack of a song choice and the piece itself. The piece began with a solo performed by me... followed by Tiffany's entrance and a little bit antiphony that was suppose to be like a scene where I was teaching Tiffany how to dance, Tiffany's solo, and finally a duet. Just in case you didn't get it by now, the piece was about Ms. Dodd and how much she has taught me, and well everyone else in the class.


At the end, the class gave us an applause and Tiffany and I look over to see Ms. Dodd's face partially covered and her eyes teary. I was shocked. Tiffany and I did it. We made Ms. Dodd cry.


Not a bad story right? I mean seriously, who else is going to have a story that is remotely similar to that? I have a better chance of standing out with this story than some life tale about how I was raised in a poor single parent family... ect ect. I mean I'm sure I don't know too many (or actually anybody) who has come from the same background as me, but I don't want to gain admissions by having the admissions board feeling pity for me. This story ties in dance, my leadership abilities (not like I have much), my interest in PT, and has a very personal sentimental value to it. Golden, right? This is one memory that I believe sums me up very well. And in a personal statement you want to give the reader a great picture of yourself without having to write a whole autobiography. Hopefully when I actually start writing my statement I don't make it too cheesy or anything.

1 comment: