Sunday, November 30, 2008

La Cita y Ye Olde Taco House

Yesterday I went to La Cita, a Mexican bar with some kids from the Bean. It was a nice night out. The music was contagious and we were surrounded by old couples dancing all around us. We danced, drank, smoked... it was a nice night out with the gang. Afterward we hit up Ye Olde Taco House right next door for some bomb tacos, quesadillas, sopes, and burritos. All for a cheap price too. If only it wasn't so far away, I'd say we found a new late night spot.


On the dance floor, a lady approached us and taught us how to dance. I learned a couple of new steps. I also learned that there are certain dances for certain songs. Some songs were meant for couples but I couldn't tell the beat apart from the other songs, so go figure. And when this one other song came on, the dancing changed from your typical smooth hip movements to something similar to tap dancing and the song has a slight Irish feel to it. That step I had to learn and it tired the shit out of me!


With all that said, I'd say I had a great cultural experience that night. It made me think about what this one WAC major said when I took my first WAC class back in sophomore year, that the best way to learn about a culture is through dance and food. I could not agree more! Mexican music, Mexican dancing, MEXICAN BEER! I can't wait for my WAC class next quarter. I really need a break from all my science-y classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment