Wednesday, September 3, 2008

PETC... Oh how I miss thee

After psych discussion, I basically canceled any plans I made. Nate Dawg's wrist was in no condition to climb. Jac Jac worked practically 11 hours and would rather catch dinner. I actually texted Jac Jac to let her know I was feeling lazy and didn't want to climb so it all worked out. I had hella time to kill between end of class til when Jac Jac got back to me about canceling the wall (finally when she did get back to me, we made dinner plans to get fat instead of working out.)

Of course, whenever I have time to kill I visit the best lab on campus. I walk in, put my stuff down, and feel right at home. Eventually M-Dawg calls, thinking it's fish taco Tuesday at Rubio's (it was Wednesday), ready to treat me out. We ended up going to Jamba Juice where Jamba Juice Boy works, but I think he works earlier in the day so I didn't get to see him. M-Dawg wants to treat me out, but I ended up getting a free drink since I filled up one of those Jamba cards. Actually she ended up getting three dollars from me because I needed change for Linh's drink since I felt guilty about using Linh to get my free drink. Finally made my way back to Pet Center with Linh's drink.

I get back, settle down, jump on a computer, start studying.... stopped studying to talk to people. Annie asked me if I was coming back in the fall. I said of course I am! Tung was sending me G-chat IMs though he's just on the other side of the lab bench and I can see and hear him clearly. Sum was working with Linh, training her and teaching her lab stuff. It's late... Tung leaves. PEACE! Eventually Sum leaves. Mark disappeared as I noticed his office door was now closed. I walk back into the lab after walking out to talk on the phone (there's no reception in the lab except for that corner where Sum's desk is) and I say to Annie..."Annie! Just like old times, huh!" During the school year, since Annie would start her day late she'd be in the lab til about evening time, and some days I would have to do a fermentation, so I'd stay with her til late evening. On those days, Pat always comes in the evening to take care of our lab. Today, just like old times, she came in with just Annie and me left in the lab. I know Pat's noticed that I'm always in the lab and asked about who I am, so I picked up a conversation with her. I see her around campus anyways. It's much more comfortable to just say hi rather than walk past people and wonder if they know me, ya know?

Before Annie leaves, she asks me to do her a favor... just like old times. They're small favors and I'm stuck in the lab anyways and I know she has family to get home to so I'm more than happy to do it for her. I had to take care of this little bad boy





The little bugger was filtering through very slowly so she asked me to turn of the vacuum when it was done or when I have to leave, which ever came first. I continue talking to Pat as Annie leaves.


That's when I realized how much I've missed this place. Staying here long evenings, getting work done, doing homework as I'm waiting for something to spin down... having people trust me to do things... not treating me like some kid, but at the same time looking out for me... As Annie was walking out and saying bye to Pat, I started organizing the lab bench:





All of a sudden, she yells at me to stop. hahahh.


Alright, now let's take a tour of Pet Center so I can share a little something important to me to all of the world wide web to see.





This is a cluttered lab bench. Thanks to Boss (not Arbing boss, but other Boss), I try to be tidy. With Annie gone and not able to yell at me to stop cleaning since I'm technically a visitor of the lab, I cleaned it up:





Nice huh?


This is our desktop. It's a protein crystal.





By the way, I've truly turned into a nerd. At the lab tech supply fair, I registered as Annie since she had the day off. Tung and I walked around and we got excited about this balance that was on display at one of the tables. It was really nice and our balance is an old dusty thing. Sum and Mark didn't get excited about it, but you know what... if Sum gets a multi-tip pipet, I say Tung and I should be able to get a new balance... yeah I'm truly a nerd now that I'm willing to argue for a new balance for the lab. Sorry no picture of the fancy balance or the one we already have.


Sometimes Annie would bring Autumn to work and all around our lab we have her precious art work. Here is LB/Nano Pure Man:



And of course we cannot leave out the chalkboard, where Autumn draws everyone in the lab as some character. I'm the yellow palm tree.





Ever since I've decided to go PT, I no longer have a use for research being on my resume, but how am I to leave this place?!?! Great people, good learning experiences (about both life and school), a place to kill time when I have ten/fifteen minutes to spare, a computer to use so I can avoid the line at the computer labs.. no complaints.

** Mark, if you're reading this... Annie and Tung were working too. They just had time to take a little break to chat with me or send me G-Chat IMs.

No comments:

Post a Comment