I got my scores today. It was disappointing to know I have to find time to study and take the beast all over again, but I'm optimistic. I did well on the physcial science (PS), biological science (BS), and the writing portions. The verbal reasoning (VR) totally kicked my ass. I ran out of time for that section and had to breeze through the last two passages. That is obviously reflected in my score since I ended up in the single digit range. ::whomp whomp::
Just a quick review on the MCAT scoring system: The BS, PS, and VR are all scored on a scale of 1 to 15 with 15 being the highest. The written portion is given a letter grade K-T with T being the highest. To put these numbers in prospective, the average MCAT score for UCSF medical students is a 36. I forget what the average writing score is, but I have read that the writing section serves no greater purpose than to wear out the test taker before the final BS section. Shame. I did well on the written part and would have gladly sacrificed some of those "points" for a higher score in verbal. ::whomp whomp::
So, what's the next step? Figuring out the next test date. I can take it in April and get my scores back in May. I can also take it in May and get my score back in June, a day or two after the application cycle opens. Med schools work on a rolling cycle, so the earlier I apply, the better. I have to sit down and really think if I can prepare myself for the April test date. If not, I'm sure taking it in May won't affect me in any way. June isn't an option because I want to take some summer classes to make up for low grades. I don't want to have to balance classes, work, and the MCAT. I might as well roll over and play dead.
Alright, alright. Enough of this depressing, boring, headache driving thoughts about the MCAT. Let's talk about MOTORCYCLES, CIRQUE DU SOLEIL, SB, MONEY, and NEW YORK.
I rode Francesca for an hour over the weekend, after the sad loss of the men's US hockey team. And I dropped her. Amazingly, I found out that I am strong enough to pick the bike up all by myself. That's right. Don't mess with these guns. After SB teaches me ju-jitsu, I'll can officially call myself a Bad Ass (that's right, proper noun.)
SB and I are going to see Ovo by Cirque du Soleil. I am very excited because it'll be his first time seeing them. I'm sure he'll love it, especially because he'll probably be stoned during the performance.
As you can tell, SB and I are doing very well. In fact, so well that I've turned into a complete sap. I get all excited when he texts me. I get all giddy when I know I'll finally get to see him. It's quite pathetic. Don't be surprise if you find pink shit, hearts, and lovey dovey changes on the blog layout. Ha, just joking. I ain't no pu.ssy.
On to some more good news, I have enough money saved up to pay off my entire student loan! This is great because the loan company plans on collecting interest next month. No, that doesn't mean I have THAT much money. I worked through college so my student debt is nothing compared to most, but still, it feels great to know I will be debt free. Then I can start splurging on motorcycle gear.
Also next month is my trip to New York. It's for work, but with how things are going, it looks like I might have to spend over a week over on the east coast. Plans aren't finalized yet, but if all goes as I hope, I get to turn this trip into a vacation. Originally, I wasn't excited for the trip because it sounded like they would only fly me out for two or three days, just long enough to finish the timed experiments, ship the specimen back to California, and hop back on the plane. Now, it seems as though I need to fly in the week before to finish some training, perform the experiment the following week, and the NY lab prefers that I stay and perform the one week time point for the experiment. Originally, I was only in charge of taking the 4, 12, and 24 hour time points of the experiment and the NY lab would perform the 48 hour and one week time points. Does that make sense? Just know I'm excited and it's good news. More work, but good news.
Okay, ta ta kids. Behave. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. And ladies (and any guys interested), just in case you don't read through the comments, Mr. Big Shot wears no ring on his left hand. Keep you updated if I find the nerve to talk to the man.
Update: I signed up for the next available test. Unfortunately, there are no more test centers with available seats in California for the April test dates or May 1. Hell no am I going out of state to take the test, although Bex says some people do actually do that. Also, the price of the exam went up $5! And I am taking the test in South San Francisco and not San Jose. My other option I believe was Fresno. You know what I think of Fresno??... not much.

Bah, I bet you can't wait to get all the tests over with forever! I'm sure you'll ace the next one.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy you're enjoying riding your cycle too (although that hockey game wasn't a disappointing loss to me - ha!) :)
Getting excited over texts was what I used to love so much!
ReplyDeleteVeg: I was pretty burnt out with study the first time around. Hopefully I do well this time. I have a friend who took it three times. Hats off to your country and the win. Just pretend I actually wear hats.
ReplyDeleteMo: It's torture now because the trackball on my blackberry gives out on me and there's no way to check messages unless I leave the cursor on the message icon. Otherwise, I'm stuck wondering who sent me a message and if it's important.