I fell asleep on the train and knew I would need some coffee to get through my day. It was going to be a busy one. We're so close to finishing up one of the experiments under the new grant. Of course, almost finishing one meant we've started preparing for the next one. There's not enough time in the week to get everything done. I stopped by the coffee shop on my way to work.
I love this place. They serve nothing but coffee. Each cup is brewed when it is ordered, no need to worry how long the coffee's been sitting in the pot. I ordered my usual, the Handmade Espresso: a cup of joe comprised of their espresso (for that bold taste) and one of their light coffees (for the extra jolt. I forget which kind they use for this particular drink.) (FYI: The darker the roast, the less caffeine it has.)
I took my first sip when I got out the door and continued walking down the street toward campus. It felt heavenly, best cup of coffee EVER.
I don't know if I was really that tired, or perhaps it had something to do with the nap on the train and the chilly morning weather in San Francisco and being so close to the bay, but that was seriously the best sip of coffee I had ever had. The coffee was at the perfect temperature, hot but not too hot that I have to carefully sip it through a straw. The taste was bold and it sent a wave of energy through my body. The cup warmed my hands. I noticed that the cup felt heavier than usual. They normally only give you half a cup of the stuff because it's an "espresso." Score, I now know which barista to approach when I want a little extra coffee in my cup. As I got to work and sat down in the break room to finish my breakfast, I noticed I was seeing things clearer than normal: colors appeared brighter and more vibrant and lines were sharp. Aw shit, is this my first caffeine high? Damn, I love this stuff.
(This was actually not a good day to have my first caffeine high. My hands started trembling and I was working with sharp objects all day long.)

I haven't had a cup of coffee in months. I used to have one every morning, and every morning I appreciated that cup for all it was worth. Savouring it. Making it last. It was a BIG cup. But I stopped as my sleep patterns are erratic to begin with, but I wondered if they were notably worse on the days I drank coffee and decided to find out. And I do seem to sleep a little better since stopping. Which makes me sad. Because I miss my coffee. And don't want to be a pussy decaf drinker. I think tomorrow, just for you, I am going to go across the street first thing and procure me a nice cup of Tim Horton's coffee and enjoy the living shit out of it. :)
ReplyDeleteCoffee after no coffee is simply fantastic. I love nothing more than going "cold turkey" (yeah right) for a few hours and then sucking back that caffeine hit.
ReplyDeleteVeg: Cheers to coffee! I think I'm going to start drinking it more often because of retaking the MCAT. Thankfully, my building gets free coffee every Wednesday afternoon =)
ReplyDeleteMo: LOL after a few hours? I worry about it staining my teeth and drink tea just to mix it up. Although I swear tea has no effect on me, caffeine wise. I just drink it for its calming effects, and because I want to look like a health nut in front of others.