Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Adventures of P-Huong and Francesca

Okay these aren't so much as adventures as they are just running errands.


I know I've had the bike for a while now so I should already be hitting the open road and planning a cross country road trip, but I don't have much time to ride. It takes me nearly 2 hours to get to work. I wake up before the sun is up and I get home as the sun is setting. It's quite depressing. I leave my building with the hopes of getting home and riding the bike, only to be fooled because it is setting by the time I enter the train station in San Jose. On the weekends, I'm stuck studying (or more like procrastinating) for round 2 with the MCAT (hence the lack of updates. Sorry. The only interesting stories I have are work related and I don't want PETA on my ass. Also, I don't want you readers, if there are any of you left, to barf all over your keyboard/laptops/mobile phones from all of my lovey dovey updates about SB. I truly care about you all.)


Earlier this week, I rode Francesca to the doctor's office. It was my first time riding over 30 mph. I have a huge fear of running over the neighborhood kids, so I stay within the speed limit whenever I'm out practicing. You can imagine all the cars passing me up, but hey you try going 40 mph in your car without the frame!


The trip was a success:
- I'm more comfortable switching gears. Working the clutch no longer makes my forearm sore. I have weak arms. When I jump rope, my arms get tired before my legs do.


- I'm better with remembering to turn off my turn signals. The signals don't turn off automatically like in a car. Before, I used to look down to make sure I was hitting the right button, but now I don't need to look. I know. Pro.


- I didn't stall. The VERY first time I took the bike out, I rode it to a friend's house and I stalled at a busy intersection near a freeway exit. Yeah, that sucked. Thank goodness for being a girl.


- Francesca didn't get stolen. I haven't bought any locks for the bike yet. The thing about having a small bike is how easily thieves can load it into a van or onto a truck.


- My doctor noticed my gear. You know the only reason for riding a bike is to look bad ass and get attention. The doctor also lectured me about how dangerous it is and how it's improper for a girl to ride motorcycles.


- Cars didn't come close to me. They were too busy passing me up. Since I was going at the speed limit, they could tell I was a beginner. Plus being a girl and Asian... they knew better than to get close to me on the road.


- Nobody honked at me. Instead, they honked at the dude not paying attention to the traffic light.


- Last but not least, both Francesca and I made it home in one piece.


Baby steps.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's no more improper for a girl to ride a motorcycle than a guy. I hope you are wearing your helmet though, young lady. You may now call me "MOM". :)

    When I had my motorcycle a few years back when I was about your age, people got in my face about it all the time. And you'd get assholes on the road who thought it was hilarious to get too close to you and freak you out. Just stay calm and be careful, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Veg: Yes, ma'am. I always wear a helmet and gloves. I'm working on getting an appropriate riding jacket. My colleagues were joking about how they would tail gate me on the road. I didn't find that funny, not one bit. I'll try to stay safe. Any riding tips would be appreciated =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So a total success story by the sounds of it. I'm terrified of riding a motorcycle so I'm extremely proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what else is terrifying? When your friends ask you to teach them how to ride. I can't say no. I don't think Francesca is ready for the abuse.

    ReplyDelete