I never once thought my best friends would be the toughest part about moving back. I surely thought it would be my family. Mom is always nagging. Little Sister is in her teenage years, always hiding in her room and on Facebook. Little Brother is slowly becoming a man, but still hasn't owned up to the title of "man of the house." They drive me crazy. Some nights I come home from work and all I want to do is drink and go to sleep, but when I wake up in the morning, I'm thankful for them. I didn't expect my friends to drive me insane.
I spend much of my time wondering if it's how I've changed that's affecting how I feel about them. I worry that because I now have a degree to my name, it comes off that I'm all high-strung, pretentious, and big-headed because I honestly feel that "they're not up to my level." And when I say that, I don't mean that they're not as "smart" as me or they don't make as much money as I do, which really is not much but it beats working an hourly wage at the cafe. I mean "not up to my level" as in being understanding, being aware of others, being as open-minded, and overall just being a respectable adult.
I hate it when Lion criticizes someone's food in their own homes. It's incredibly rude, especially when it's in the home of a dear friend who was gracious enough to invite us over when she knew we didn't have any plans to be with our own families. I saw her take her first bite of Thanksgiving dinner, throw her fork down, and mutter "Ugh. Under-seasoned." Pen nodded in agreement. I was so disgusted and ashamed to call these people my friends. This kind of stuff happens all the time. And it angers me because Lion and Pen don't even cook. Cooking to them is opening a can of sloppy joe sauce, mixing it with some ground beef, and toasting the buns. Baking to them is box-ready made stuff. Their regular diet composes of Popeye's fried chicken and McDonald's chicken nuggets if Pen's mom didn't pack some food for them to take home as left-overs.
I hate how Pen acts like a know-it-all and put others down. Pen is a biochemistry major and so she is required to take the harder chemistry series. I know that chemistry is not my strongest point and I was a life science major, so I was only required to take the easier series. Pen knows that and whenever we get into a discussion about science, she doesn't budge on her stance. There is no room for discussion with her. She is right because she took the harder chemistry series and therefore she is smarter than me. I worry sometimes that since I now have a degree under my belt that I get all high-headed on my friends. But I realized that if I really am that stuck up, I would have argued back that I have my degree from a UC and so my "easier" chemistry series is equivalent to her "tougher" state school level courses. (I'm sorry if that statement offended anyone. I really don't feel that way. It's just an example of if I were a total know-it-all scum bag.)
Is what I'm asking of my best friends too much? I just want to them to be aware of themselves, aware of how they present themselves, to be better understanding people, and to be grateful for what they have. I feel that until they learn these life lessons and "catch up" to me, I don't want them in my life. I freak out and stress about my own family problems and about my future to have to worry their issues. And they're not the only friends I have. Some of the good great friends that I made while in LA are living in San Jose. I've met a group of amazing people from work. There's so much going on that I feel held back by these friends. But what kind of friend am I to just leave them? But what's it going to take for them to finally grow up?

Certain people, I wonder why I'm friends with them. ALL. THE. TIME. For many of the same reasons. But it's the Bay. This is just the quality of people of the world in which we live.
ReplyDeleteWow! That's a tough one. and again you sound like me around college time... which was of course only 2 years ago ;) Seriously though, I remember losing touch with some friends who kinda put me down because I went to college and they didn't. Saying things like I wasn't' as much fun because I was moving away from the small town (suburb of Philly) where I grew up. And then when I got married (I was only 20 at the time) I lost a few friends completely. But you know what 10 years later (I hate to admit that) they do finally come around. Hang in there. Maybe they'll take the new express course ;)
ReplyDelete@bex: It's so depressing. Let's run away to NYC.
ReplyDelete@Cookie: So I have to wait 10 years before they mature? On a serious note, thank you for sharing. Good to know things came around for you. I'm hoping they take the express course, too.
I just got back from helping them move, one got kicked out of her sister's house. I've realized that even when things get bad, we all still love each other in the end. I guess I just gotta put up with it 'til everything plays itself out. Thank you again for your story!
a therapist once said to me:
ReplyDeleteyou have friends for a reason, a season or for life, I'm sorry to say but I think their' season has ended. People grow, hopefully and sometimes that means they grow out of each other.
Man, it's been one long season. I've known Lion since the second grade!!
ReplyDeleteThat idea was floating around in the back of my mind but I didn't want to think much about it. It's pretty tough to digest. For sure though, I need a break away from them. Thanks for the help, greatly appreciate it.
Miss P! I have no idea why your blog wasn't on my Reader before. I think I'm senile early. You are there now.
ReplyDeleteIf you have a second would you drop me an email with your email so I can send my annual, homemade, holiday e-card madness? :)
Also, now I'm leaving a REAL comment, I think it's just that you moved away, grew up, became a responsible person and they're still where they were before. I think you're right! I think it happens to everyone to a degree when you grow up and experience life for the first time and you have responsibilities etc. You just outgrow some people. I think it's cool you think what you do because it proves you're the one who's evolving and really what's the point if you don't evolve? :)
ReplyDeleteVeg!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the holiday card! It's my desktop wall paper.
I love how you used the word "evolve" and now I have Darwin in my head (I've been studying for the biological sciences part of the MCATs.) I recently had a conversation with Pen about her issues with her sis. So, they finally found out why the Sis had been acting up and not once during the discussion did Pen say anything about her role in the problem. Pen basically let the Sis take the blame. That realization and your comment about evolving just shed new light on my relationship with my friends. Thanks for the input and Happy Holidays!