Sunday, March 20, 2011

My, time has flown!

I'm always telling SB, “Wow, it’s been a while since we’ve last…” Gone out, gone on a vacation, went dancing, got drunk…. Only to realize, it’s only been two weeks since the last said occasion. I obviously have a really bad perception of time.


However, the other weekend we did a first: our first grown up house dinner party. A colleague of mine, whose husband finally had a Saturday night off, invited us over for dinner. (Why you would invite everyone you know over the first free Saturday night your husband has off is beyond me. I would have asked for a whole lot of “me” time instead.) Practically half of the lab showed up. Well only half of the lab was invited because it was a small apartment. She claimed it was small. It was pretty effin’ nice and roomy for a San Francisco apartment if you ask me. But, she did have one valid point for not inviting some people: it definitely is not a suitable place for children to run around.


So there we were… sippin’ on some beer and wine, eating fondue, bruschetta, and mingling with the most diverse group of people I’ve ever a Saturday night with. It was great. It was a totally different scene for us because usually kids my age spend their Saturdays drunk at a bar or grinding on someone at the club. I felt very mature and cultured that night.


I’ve been wanting SB to meet one of my colleague’s significant other. They’re both into physics and when the two hit it off in a conversation, it was quite a turn on to watch my man engage in an intellectual conversation with someone who has a Ph.D. in physics. From Oxford. (Actually the truth is, I’m not 100% sure where he got his Ph.D. BUT, I do know the couple has ties to that university, so for the point I’m trying to make, let’s say he’s an Oxford educated man and SB was practically on his level.)


Dinner itself was tasty. It was a play-off of paella. Dessert was a sweet and creamy crème brulée topped with fresh berries. Someone also brought a thick chocolate cake and a bottle of muscat. (Are you drooling yet?)We wanted to stay late and drive a couple of our colleagues home, but SB only had a few hours of sleep that morning. We left relatively early around midnight and promptly fell asleep as soon as we went to bed. We had a great evening and the best part of it all… no hang over the next morning.

1 comment:

  1. Look at you being a grown up lady. :) It sounds fun actually. I like science people so you know, science people plus primo desserts? Yes please.

    ReplyDelete