Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Git in ma bellllaaayyy!

The past couple of weeks, I was taken over by my inner fat kid. I don't know if I've ever told you guys this, but I CAN EAT. Or at least I used to be able to eat a lot. I've become very self conscious of myself so I'm finally learning the importance of portion control, but don't be fooled; I still love food. I just eat less of the junk and more stuff that's better for me.


The latter half of January was Dine About Town in San Francisco. While I was down in LA for college, I always missed out on Dine LA week, so when I found out about San Francisco's version, I immediately told SB we're eating at (at least) one of the fancy restaurants.


I also told my colleague we should go out for lunch and try one of the participating restaurants. We made a reservation for a three course lunch and a small pack of us made it out to the nearby restaurant where I feasted on a yummy beet salad with goat cheese (I love cheese), their famous sweet and savory ribs with meat practically falling off the bone, and some creamy chocolate gelato. And it was just the beginning because that weekend, I made reservations for lunch on Saturday and dinner on Sunday.


Lunch was a bit disappointing so let's just forget about that. The churro was the highlight of the meal, but probably only because I have such a deprived sweet tooth since I cut back on pastries. I miss you, cookies...


Dinner was great. We ate at a French restaurant. I regret not taking any pictures of the food that night, but every thing was on point: the crab salad, the shrimp, the iron flat steak, the scallops, the semi-freddo, and of course, more gelato. Just in case you guys were wondering, yes I ate the semi-freddo and finished SB's gelato. I told you I can eat! He also shared all of his food with me. For some reason whenever I offer him what's on my plate he always declines. Whatever, more for me...


After the weekend of dining out, we flew down to LA where I made reservations for Dine LA week. YEEESSS! Finally! I get to experience Dine LA and you'd think by now I was done with expensive fancy three course meals. Hells no. I quickly made a reservation for LA Market, where the winner from the past season of Hell's Kitchen now works as the head chef. My little sister, who wants to go to culinary school and watched Hell's Kitchen with me, became very jealous. The apps and desserts got demolished and all I could take a picture of was this:




By the way, I had to angle to dish because I started digging in before remembering to take a picture. I only wanted to take a picture so I have something to show my little sister.


I also got to meet the head chef, Nona. I was completely star struck.




It was ridiculous how shy and quiet I got. SB had to speak up and say to the chef, "Oh, she's been wanting to ask you a question..." I had a blank look on my face because I couldn't remember what I wanted to ask her. My mind was too busy racing and thinking and trying to act cool so again, he spoke up and asked her about the tattoos on her arms. We had a quick chat and she had to run back to the kitchen.


After dinner, I called my little sister to tell her about my dining experience at LA Market. She gave me the whole "Whatever..." attitude, trying to act cool and like as if she doesn't care. I know she was jealous to the tenth power. At least.


It's been a fantastic affair with food for the past couple of weeks and it's time I ended it. I think I've gained 10 pounds from eating out so much. Time to get reacquainted with my running shoes.

3 comments:

  1. You know, it's not even eight in the morning yet here and you've just made me STARVING already. Yum! This all sounds too delish for words. Glad you've been indulging in something fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ask Nona if she needed therapy after getting yelled at for the whole season?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Veg: Oh my... and I just remembered I forgot to write about my fat Korean meal I had! The apps were enough as a full meal. It's funny because I'm always hungry when I visit your blog. There's always a mention of cake, cheese, or ginger ale. =)

    @ Trooper: No, but I should have huh? She seemed normal and friendly. That six figure salary at the LA Market must have found her a great therapist I guess.

    ReplyDelete