A colleague of mine who applied to graduate school recently heard back from his top pick. He's in! When I saw him holding a sweater with that school's logo, I looked at him funny... His eyes lit up, "I didn't tell you yet?" Right then I knew he had gotten in and immediately grabbed his hands and started jumping up and down (he's gay by the way and jumped up and down with me.) I was so proud of him.
A friend who is applying to medical school this year with me was having a hard time. I told her it's still not too late to apply to some schools and before you know it, she was granted an interview at one of the schools I had been to. I gave her all the information I could remember from my interview. I gave her details, lots of them. A few weeks later, I get a text. She's in! She deserves it and I am so happy for her.
Another friend of mine just texted me today telling me he has been offered an interview at the school that I am wait listed for. Of course, I couldn't hold out on him and sent him a lengthy email on my personal experience and any advice I could give him. I wish the best for him, but as I watch all of my friends go on to the next chapter of their lives, I'm left here wondering, what about me?
I shouldn't be complaining because the best way for all of this to work out is for me to actually NOT get accepted anywhere this year. You see, because I am wait listed at this school, if I don't get in anywhere this year, they will consider me for early acceptance for the next year. I want the early acceptance for next year. That way, I'll have more time to work, save up money, I'll get to go to the Philippines with SB in November, I get to spend more time with the family... It sounds much more relaxing than getting in last minute and what if all the financial aid is already gone?
But really, I want to keep waiting? I've been waiting for months now and it sucks. What if they decide to NOT let me in next year?!? It's not a sure thing. The wait list/early acceptance plan sounds great and highly possible, but it also sounds just too good to be true. Please let it be true.

No comments:
Post a Comment