I'm trying to think back to last year to see if I felt the same way about 2009. I honestly can't remember what I did for New Year's last year. I went to Vegas, right? No, that was right after finals, before the holidays even began. You know what, f*ck this. I can't remember and instead of forcing my brain to remember stupid memories, I should be clearing space to memorize all this o-chem. Quickly, who can tell me what kind of solvent favors SN1 reactions?
However, I do remember what I felt during the 2009 Lunar New Year. No, I wasn't filled with joy because I had red envelopes with $100 in them. I was worried. I remember looking into the yearly horoscope for my animal and feeling like I need to be cautious this year.
I did a lot of thinking and planning this past year. I had to be careful with what I was leaving behind and had to really think about how I wanted to go about all the changes that happened. I needed to leave UCLA with the connections that would help me with my future endeavors. I needed to cut off any of the bad ones. I needed to consider what would happen to my family and friends if I had stayed in LA. I needed to figure out the best post-grad scenario that would allow me to survive in the crashing economy and start a successful career. And all that thinking and planning paid off because look at me now. I couldn't be in a better place.
Looking back, I can say that 2009 was a big year for me, not a great year, but definitely one to remember. I know all of you who have been with me this past year are thinking, "What?!?! Is she crazy?!? She learned how to surf, graduated college, found a job in this sh*t-tastic economy, bought a motorcycle, met a boy who would drive an hour just to have coffee with her..." (Sorry for rubbing it in.)
It's been a good year... but this is only the beginning. 2010 is it. 2010 is when I take the MCATs. 2010 is when I decide if I am going to apply for medical school. 2010 is the year I'm going make up for lost time with my family and friends while I was away at college. This new year is going to be when I start figuring out who really matters and when I decide what I want to do with the rest of my life. I know I sound crazy and that I'm blowing 2010 out of proportion, but I really think this is all going to happen next year.
With that said, I hope to have you all with me next year and best of luck to everybody. May all your wishes, dreams, and fantasies come true. If you are going out tonight, have fun and be safe. If you're staying in, stay warm and have a restful night. Cheers.

Happy New Year, P! May 2010 be a rocking good year for you and your sparkly motorcycle. :)
ReplyDeletePolar solvents?
ReplyDeletehappy new year hun! it's going to be great, if not, life changing!
ReplyDeleteVeg!!! Happy New Year to you too! And good luck with your NY resolutions! Cake, cake, cake! (You have to say that in tune with that one song that screams, "SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS!")
ReplyDeletebex: Polar PROTIC solvents. Polar APROTIC favors SN2 right?
Annie, I know right? You're entering the second half of PT school! Whhoooo! Be prepared for more random phone calls just in case I injure myself at work again.
You have a hell of a lot on your plate. You should be very very proud yourself, Seriously, what a year and you are right 2010 is going to be fantastic. You sound like you're in such a healthy place. I wish i'd had my shit together when I was your age. Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteMama Bern! Lots is on the line. It sometimes scares me that I let people know about my plans because I'll be too ashamed to show my face (or in this case blog again) if it all fails. But I have to admit, all the support is great. Happy new year to you and your delightful daughter! May this year be filled with many dinosaur museum visits and ice cream. (Joking about the museum)
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year. From what it sounds 2010 will be a big year - hope it lives up to its expectations!
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way. 2010 just has this relentless optimism.
ReplyDeleteHappy New year! So many things happening in your life right now... Hope they all turn out as planned.
ReplyDeletewow that WAS a good year for you. I do think this year is gonna be amazing.
ReplyDeleteMo: I hope so too! So far, it's off to a great start. Hope it's going well for you too!
ReplyDeleteSal: Some of my colleagues think it's because 2010 is a nice even number and that's why people have good feelings about this year. However, I really think this feeling goes deeper than that.
Cookie: Thanks. Hope all goes well on your end! Good luck on your Japanese exam, too.
Andrew: 2010, baby. It's either going to a big celebration or a big year in change. Either way, it's big and as you said, ah-mazing.