Thursday, September 10, 2009

It's not the cheese! That's not the point!!

My brother is 19 years old. He will be starting his second year at a community college later this month. And he has absolutely no job experience. When I moved back home, I made him a deal. I told him that if he went out and found a summer job, I'd buy him a new outfit. In addition to that, if it was a decent job, eg not just some burger flipping job, but a job that I can also benefit from, I'd buy him a pair of shoes too. Just in case you guys didn't already know, I'm a fucking sneaker head. I would have bought him a pair of amazingly fresh kicks. Did his eyes even light up at the excitement of the offer? No. His ass barely budged.


Another problem? He eats everything. I know we're family and before I moved out, everything was shared. But even back then, I got annoyed that he would eat the last of something that was technically mine. Ever since I've been home, I've been helping out with the groceries. Certain foods I consider mine, particularly the muenster cheese. I will share anything else. I get a bit stingy with snack foods because I pack those for work. And you know what happened today? I fucking come home to an empty package of muenster cheese.


I'm obviously pissed. I ask my little sister who ate my cheese. She replies, "David." I get really pissed off. If it was my little sister, I would have asked her, "Next time if you eat the last of something, can you please ask me first, just so I know?" But no. It was my brother. The adult who does nothing but play video games all day ate the last of my cheese. Just like how he ate all of my blueberries. And the can of almonds.


You have no idea how pissed I am. When I turned 18 and moved away for college, I was stuck paying the house bills for the family. My mom finally stopped asking me to help out with the bills for the house that I was no longer living at when she realized I was barely making enough to survive in LA. Thank goodness for those premier meal plans at UCLA and generous friends who would swipe me in for a free meal if I ever needed it.


I go and pour myself a drink. Usually I go easy on the vodka when I'm mixing it with juice because I just want a slight buzz to help me sleep. This time I was generous with the vodka. My mom asks me, "Do you want to go to the market?" I tell her no. The food isn't the point. The point is, he needs to grow up. My mom then proceeded to ask my little sister if she wants to go to the market and mumbles something under her breath that basically meant, "Come on. Let's go to the market and replace that person's food."


DDAAAMMMMIIITTTT. The food is not the fucking point!! The point is your son is a lazy child. We are a poor family. And he is an adult now. If he was a bit more responsible around the house and actually helped the family (by doing his chores without being asked or even just handling his financial aid so my mom doesn't have to give him an extra $300 for buddha knows what) I wouldn't be so pissy around him.


I am tired. I have been working since I was 16 and at many points of my short life, have held multiple paying jobs while also volunteering so I can get into medical school. To work so hard (but to be honest yes I did bring that onto myself and I enjoyed every activity I did) and to look over my shoulder and see my brother being a lazy punk who acts like he's still in middle school is just... frustrating. I am willing to work for a better life for my family, only if they're willing to put in some effort too. Even though you are blood related, you are not getting a free ride on my salary. Plus I don't make enough money. An entry level science job, or any science job, doesn't pay that great any way.


Thank you for listening. I am done ranting. I promise to post with more uplifting and exciting events. But for now, I'm boycotting the food my mom just came home with and praying that I don't wake up with a hang over.

8 comments:

  1. geez. that's rough. i feel ya - i can't stand lazy asses. and especially those who don't have a job AND don't help around in the house.
    i think he needs some discipling/spanking/set his ass straight talks from mom? i mean, when money's tough, he's gotta step up and do something too...
    you think as a guy he'd learn to hustle or something...

    you keep doing your thing. stop drinking so much and take your anger out on your brother... haha. jp. but it's better that you do it sober than drunk. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I'm a major sneaker head too.

    2) I boycott things in my house when I'm mad too.

    3) THEY NEVER SEEM TO GET THE POINT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, there's nothing more frustrating than a family member who doesn't/won't pull their weight. Vent away. It gets the frustration out and it's your best outlet because he probably won't change except because he wants to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Annie: mom is too easy on us. That's how he gets away with it... And how I get away with staying out all night. But forreal right? Isn't the hustle gene found in all males?

    @Sarah: 1.)Yes, I meet another sneaker head! But it's tough keeping up because of money problems and when I need to change my wardrobe to a more professional attire.
    2.) I have yet to eat any of my mom's muenster cheese. Which is very hard because it's my favorite.
    3.) Parents... they spend so much time raising you and still don't get it...

    @mysterg: I wish he could but even though he's a younger sibling, he's way bigger than me. So is the youngest sister. It's like they have a different father.

    @anymommy: I hope he changes. I just want him to be more aware of our situation. It frustrates me that I grew up being so passive, so I want my siblings to grow up being more active.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo... That's a tough one. I have siblings too. Lazy ones! and parents how don't do much about it. Can't tell your siblings what to do and cant' tell your patents what to do Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you brother doesn't want some new sneakers (or trainers as we call them) you could always buy me a pair?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Cookie: Yes, but thankfully I've calmed down. I'm planning on moving out next year so I can peacefully study for MCATs and work. The rest of the fam... well they survived 4 years without me, they'll be okay.

    @mo: sorry. I took that money and put it in, P-huon's Bike Fund. Vroommm vrroommmm!

    ReplyDelete