Sunday, January 8, 2012

How Baby SB Came

It started on a Thursday morning. I woke up and went about as usual: got ready, cooked breakfast, and waited for SB to come home so we could have breakfast before he drives me to work. As we ate, I told him that I have a feeling… a funny feeling that I would give birth soon. He asked how soon and I shrugged my shoulders. I had never given birth before so I had no idea how fast things would run. I did have an inkling of a clue that it could be as soon as that weekend, but I didn’t want to say and get SB all excited/worried.

Thursday continued as normal. It wasn’t until 11:30 that night that I noticed something odd. As I woke up in the middle of the night to use to bathroom, I had a bladder slip. Only, it felt a little bit heavier than my usual leak… and there was a tiny bit of color. Did my water just break?!? I never have a bladder slip while sitting up, only when I sneeze or cough. Whatever… I went back to sleep. I wake up every 2-3 hours to pee anyway and if I wake up then and the bed is soaked... well, we know what happened.

Friday morning came and the bed was dry. I guess my water didn’t break. Surely, my water breaking would be more obvious than a tiny leak. On our drive into the city, SB convinced me to call the advice nurse to make sure everything was okay. I called as we got on the bay bridge and the nurse told me to come in to make sure everything is okay. It sounded odd to her that I would lose control of my bladder being young. Also, it seems like a lot of people who work with pregnant mothers believe in mother’s intuition, so when I told her I was feeling different lately she told me to come in for a check up.

Long story short, my water did break. My water broke high up, so only a little bit of fluid was trickling down. And those mild menstrual cramps I was feeling? Yeah, they’re called CONTRACTIONS. FYI for anyone about to experience your first pregnancy. Why don’t they tell you that in the books? The whole time I was waiting for a different feeling but those cramps were the go ahead signal to send my ass to the hospital.

At the hospital, I got completely drugged up and the baby popped out just after midnight. Anyone who goes through a natural birth with no drugs, hats off to you. When the contractions kicked in at full speed, I was begging for pain killers. I had to be given a drug just to calm me down enough to get the epidural. The joy that followed the pain:



Happy New Year, folks! No better way to enter the new year than getting paid to stay home with my loved ones :)

No comments:

Post a Comment