The job is coming along GREAT. I'm comfortable with the type of work they expect me to do. Everyone in the lab has been so nice and welcoming. They all know how excited I am to learn, so one doc, Jane, has asked me to help her out with the tissue bank while she's out on maternity leave. So far, I've accompanied her to the OR twice to collect samples and check out the surgeries. Ah-Mazing! I'm not standing in some observatory room. I'm actually inside the OR, right beside the surgeons, and talking to them! Also, a PhD, Charles, has been giving me bench work to do, so it's been more than just mouse work.
The job is great, but the commute is crap. There is news that the BART union workers are planning to go on strike next week. So now I'll be taking the Caltrain to avoid such a mess. Everyday I have no clue how I will be getting home. Sometimes Lion will pick me up. Sometimes I'll stay downtown and wait for Pen to get off work so we can carpool home together. Sometimes I have no ride home and have to take the bus,train, and light rail.
It's a drag and it's no wonder that I've fallen behind on blogs. I don't know how you working bloggers do it. I commend you. My posts will be scarce. Comments will come late. Thanks for sticking around. I owe the internet a Vegas update.

Glad to hear you finally landed a job. It sounds so exhilarating.
ReplyDeleteThe closest I've ever been to a surgeon in an OR room was through a television on Grey's Anatomy or House. Lol.
I hope your commute will get better. Hopefully they don't go on strike, sometimes they just do that to scare people.
:]
Anyway, be safe which ever way you do get home.
I remember when I wanted to be a plastic surgeon and I'd do all this hospital volunteer work and go shadow doctors and I got to watch a tummy tuck. I was standing right beside him and the nurses while he was making the cuts, etc...super amazing experience. sounds like a cool job you have.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for the Vegas update, whoo hoo!
ReplyDeleteYour priority has to be your job first and blog second. In the meantime, I'm not going anywhere, not when there is a Vegas story to come!
ReplyDeleteI hate when life gets in the way of blogging!
ReplyDeleteA great job is 1000% times better than keeping up with blogs. No worries. ~Mary
ReplyDeleteDon't know how we do it? Well, you've seen me crash and wind down to Mondays only! It is madness!
ReplyDeleteAD: It was pretty exciting even though all I did was stand there for a couple of hours. Don't know if I have it in me to be a surgeon. The first surgery I saw was scheduled for 12 hours!
ReplyDeleteSarah: What happened to wanting to be plastic surgeon? Yeah it's definitely a great experience being in an OR, especially after watching/following so many medical shows.
Sally- Sal: I have it typed out on my blackberry. That's the only way I can get a post done: type it on the BB while commuting, but it takes me a while to type it all out and scroll to catch all the typos.
mysterg: I certainly have to put work first... especially during this six month probation period. I don't think they should fire me without first getting rid of the post-doc they hired. She was video-chatting today at her desk.
Cookie: FORREAL! You know how some people just aren't caught up with the times? Well I feel like that, but in the blogosphere.
FrankAndMary: Yeah, but this job is being plain greedy and it's taking all of my time. Nah, just playing. I'm sure I'll find more time once everything gets settled in. Things keep moving around at work. I still get mixed up as to where I'm suppose to meet with my supervisor every morning.
mo- It certainly is!! I can barely keep up with people on twitter and that's easily accessible on my phone. Also, I forgot to say thank you on your blog for only posting on Mondays. That way, I can catch up on your blog... although I would like to read more of it. =/